Monday, November 26, 2012

Barrett Beginnings

Submitted by Gian Demano


          When I first arrived at Taylor Place in mid-August of 2011, I wasn’t sure how fast, or how slow, I would start to get along with new people. I began to get the close tight-knit community vibe of the Downtown Phoenix campus when I attended information sessions and had my orientation. However, I still wasn’t certain how my interactions would be with fellow freshmen. Fun? Weird? Awkward? Boring? To be quite honest, I wasn’t too nervous at all though. I had my best friend and fellow Honors Devil, Michael Bartelt, by my side through the whole process. I’d have to thank him though for the early success and friendships we made.

From the get go, Mike was all about inviting people to our room randomly. At first, I thought this would be awkward. But to the contrary, it really wasn’t. What people have to realize is that what you’re thinking, as a new Barrett student, is what the other new students are thinking. Everyone is a bit nervous, everyone wants to do some small talk and be friendly, and no one wants to be isolated. We talked to some other Barrett students, hung out, learned about each other, and just had a good time. We were ourselves: fun, outgoing and inclusive.
 
People want to get to know each other during the beginning of the year. And while we don’t even spend everyday with all the people that we talked to in the beginning of our freshmen year, what we did was find out more about one another. Not everyone is going to end up being your best friend for all four years. But as you meet other fellow Barrettonians, you’ll find people who you’ll say hello to in the hallway, people who you’ll do studying together for your honors class, and people who you may be friends with forever. From being part of a whole floor dedicated to Barrett students, to attending fun events, Barrett offers you the resources to easily get along with others at the residential level, which is a huge part of anyone’s college experience.
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment