Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Getting Involved – BLASTD

Submitted by Tara Boyd

            In high school I was involved in several organizations, both academic and service-related. I was worried that I wouldn’t have those same opportunities in college, but the Barrett Leadership and Service Team Downtown has given me that and so much more. Through BLASTD I have read to homeless children, painted a chicken coop, made dinner at the Ronald McDonald House, and danced the night away at the Duce with my fellow Barrett classmates.

            My freshman year I got involved simply by attending meetings. There were very few opportunities to help in planning the events, but I enjoyed the ones that I attended. I ended up applying for an executive position for my sophomore year and became the vice president of the club. I am now a junior and the president of BLASTD.

            Over the last few years I have watched BLASTD grow and expand the opportunities to students on the downtown campus. We strive to have at least one community service opportunity a month. In addition we plan an annual Grub Crawl, highlighting the many restaurants in downtown Phoenix and an end of semester social event complete with food and music for all Barrett downtown students. Most recently we partnered with BLAST in Tempe to create our first ever float for the homecoming parade.

            I love seeing members’ reactions to our events and the passion it ignites in students. It’s why I’ve continued to be a part of this organization and why I will remain a part of it until I graduate. BLASTD helped me find my place in college and it introduced me to the amazing downtown community surrounding this school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment