Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting Involved


"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do" ~Edward Everett Hale

As an upper-division admit to Barrett, I haven’t had the opportunity to be fully involved with the program as I would like. I recently applied to be one of the Barrett bloggers hoping to get more involved with all things Barrett. Through this outlet, I am wishing to share my Barrett experiences with other Barrett students and let them know all the wonderful opportunities available to them.

Although I am not in any Barrett-sponsored organizations, I am, however, very involved with the College of Nursing and Health Innovations. I am the secretary for the College Council of Nursing students (CCNS). As such, I am responsible for the agenda, minutes, and other miscellaneous paperwork. As a member of this organization, I have had so many wonderful opportunities to serve the community. Just a few weeks ago, I participated in the Color Run to benefit Cardon Children’s Medical Center. The turn out was spectacular! They were originally expecting around 600 participants and they ended up having over 6000. It was a wonderful way to raise money and it was just all around fun. It was a 5k run/walk and at each marker, you ran through a different color powder. So as you progress through the race, you slowly become more and more colorific! And at the end of the race, in case you weren’t colored enough, everyone throws a packet of color powder into the air, creating the infamous “color cloud.” Believe me, you leave the race looking like a rainbow explosion.


Here’s a picture of Joey and I after the color run.

The Student Nurses Association (SNA) is another student organization I serve on. As a senior class representative, I am responsible for keeping the accelerated senior class informed on all things SNA. SNA gives student nurses the opportunity to reach out to the community and offer support in any way we can. One way we offer help is through raising money for different charities. One such charity is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. If you are unfamiliar with the event, it is a nation wide race to raise money for breast cancer research. As a member of SNA we had the option to either raise money and participate in the race or volunteer to help run the event. I chose to run the race and it was such an amazing opportunity. To see the amount of people in pink supporting one cause was truly awe-inspiring.

Here’s a picture of some of the SNA team after completing the race

Being apart of these organizations has truly changed my outlook on life. Being able to have an impact on someones life is an amazing feeling. I hope to further this feeling by getting more involved with Barrett in the coming semesters.



No comments:

Post a Comment