Thursday, February 23, 2012

Campus Life - Getting Involved

“College is going to be the BEST time of your life!” How many times have we all heard that? Let’s just say people say that for a reason! One of the best ways to enjoy one’s college experience is to get involved. Through Barrett and other campus organizations, I have had multiple opportunities to participate in the organizations and really plug in to campus life at ASU.

My first big chance to get involved was when I became a CA in 2009 at Barrett. I have a picture here of my CA staff during one of our training sessions. In this picture we are trying to do a pyramid (to no avail). Joining Residential Life as a CA was such a wonderful way to meet other student leaders. It's been two years since working with them and we all still stay in touch and have reunions. It is amazing to see how some of them who already graduated have been so successful in jobs and graduate school and it helps to have older friends who can give me advise in making life decisions.

The most memorable and exciting Barrett program that I attended at ASU was when we took two busloads of Barrett kids to Telluride, Colorado for a Skiing and Snowboarding trip. This trip was unforgettable. Here’s a picture of myself and the group of friends that I hung out with on that trip. We still talk about how that trip was amazing and how we wish we could do it again.

One thing that HAS to be done as an ASU student is to go to a football game. Even though I am not much of a football fan, the ASU games are totally fun because of the traditions that the student body sections has: our student section is wild! Here’s a picture of myself and some other friends before entering the Sun Devil Stadium.

Another one of ASU’s traditions is to hike A mountain, which is just North of the campus and right next to the stadium. This is a picture of my floor the first week of school this year as we hiked A mountain.

Another well-known hike that is near the campus is Camelback. This is a picture of myself and kids from my floor. One of the programs that I put on was to arrange a trip to hike Camelback. It was a hot day—but everyone made it! You can kind of see from this picture how great the view is.

Another program that I planned for my floor was to play broomball. Broomball is essentially hockey without the skates. I happen to have several residents who love hockey so they were the ones that helped me coordinate this event. Talk about a workout. I will never forget the hilarious pictures I have in my head of my residents skidding and falling on their faces all over the ice.

One student organization that I joined last semester was the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), which is a club that students can apply to be in. This club is all about community service and recognition. Just this last Wednesday, we had a dinner to honor the new induction member. This is a picture of myself and a few of my friends who just got inducted into NRHH. I’m looking forward to doing community service projects with them!

The MOST fun that I have had thus far as a student has been to play intramural soccer every year. Here’s a picture of my team, DANGERZONE. Intramurals are so much fun because you are playing with a group of your friends against other college kids. Our team is all about winning and being spirited so I hope that we can make it to the playoffs this year!

Throughout my four years as a college student I have had the chance to become involved so many different programs and organizations, and because of that meet so many diverse people. Now I can finally see why people say that these are the best years in one’s life!


No comments:

Post a Comment