Saturday, February 4, 2012

No I in Team

Getting involved is very important in college. This is the easiest and most fun way to make friends and gain leadership experience (which always looks nice). Freshman year I joined BLAST'D, a community service group for Downtown Barrett students. I then did a radio show for ASU's radio station, the Blaze. Then, I found the Downtown Devil, a group of students running a community newspaper online for Downtown Phoenix.

Through Barrett and the Downtown Devil I made so many friends and gained so many experiences and memories. I learned more about myself and became involved in shaping the Downtown area as well as ASU.

Here is a pic of some of the Downtown Editors, I'm the one on the far left. My dedication got me a leadership position! I learned so much from fellow editors that made me a better writer. They supported and encouraged me and now I will be in New Orelans for the summer interning because of the things I learned with my involvement in DD.

At the Downtown Devil we are more than colleagues, we are a family and friends.

This year I also took a position as a peer mentor for Barrett. I mentor a group of Barrett students, helping them adjust to college and transition into adulthood. I love being a peer mentor because it's nice to be able to provide advice for my mentees and watch them learn and grow. There are six peer mentors and we are all close friends. For that matter, I'm close friends with my mentees, we love spending time together!

Here is a pic of us peer mentors at our Barrett/Cronkite Halloween Party. We were the seven "new age" dwarfs. I'm the one in the red, GRUMPY/SASSY.

Getting involved doesn't have to be a hassle. I have found ways to get involved and have fun. It's all about joining groups that interest you and being outgoing. Joining groups gives you thinkgs to do and helps you enjoy college even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment