Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My future opportunities with the help of ASU

A big part of being a journalism student is finding and doing internships. Cronkite requires students to do at least one, but it is smart to do as many as you can. In this career field, it's all about your experience, clips, and what editors say about you.

My first internship was first semester of sophomore year at the Phoenix Business Journal. I didn't do as much as I wanted here, but it was still an interesting and valuable experience. This semester I intern with the Arizona Republic, working out of their Scottsdale office.

At the republic I do a lot of writing. I keep track of breaking news and crime stories but I also do featurey pieces. A couple weeks ago I had three cover stories and center pieces that ran in the Republic. I wrote one about endangered crocodiles that came to Scottsdale, one was about the growing need for fosters at local animal shelters due to the economy, and the last was about a little boy you suffers from a rare, harmful disease.

My time and work at the Republic has been one of the most valuable experiences. I'm excited to announce that I will be spending my summer in New Orleans working for the main paper there. I can't wait to get paid for my work in an exciting city. I am going to have so much fun and get great clips!

This Friday, I have internship interviews set up through the Cronkite school. One of the best things about going to school here is that Cronkite tries to help you find an internship and the professors here have so many connections. I will be interviewing with seven different people for an internship next semester. I hope all goes well.

When I first came here I was so worried I wouldn't make it or find an internship.But all I needed was some time and some luck and here I am. Anyone can do this and find success here especially if you're a part of Cronkite and Barrett. People are always impressed to see a student getting their BA/MMC at the same time, so take advantage of that opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment